The everyday life of an everyday woman with a passion for writing, and a dream… Mommeeeee! I need help wiping! Oh yes, and five little kids.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Sun and Moon, Ice and SnowSun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I absolutely loved the uniqueness of this story! This beautifully written journey begins with a young girl whose mother refused to give her a name. Thus she is known as pika, (girl) or lass. Her eldest brother returns home from adventures a changed man, saddened. Lass wants to know why, but he will never say.




Lass lives in the far north and the winter will not cease its grip on the land. When she rescues the magical white reindeer, he offers her a gift of her own choosing. Her first choice he cannot give so he gives her a name instead. From that moment Lass is changed forever and discovers she can talk with animals. Years later a polar bear appears and takes her away to a magical ice palace where all who reside there are enchanted, but who is forcing them all to stay in the barren place? As Lass begins to uncover the curse which threatens the lives and happiness of not only those in the palace, but of her brother as well, the palace suddenly becomes a very dangerous place.




Once again, Jessica Day George weaves an elegant and unique story that is clean and wholesome. I was immediately drawn into this book as it made me think of my Finnish heritage and I loved the culture weaved into the plot. Great read!






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment