The everyday life of an everyday woman with a passion for writing, and a dream… Mommeeeee! I need help wiping! Oh yes, and five little kids.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

My Peeps

Yes, it is 12:23am and I have just arrived home from that glorious evening I look forward to once a month.  Book Club.  While I left the party a little earlier than my faithful comrades, it always amazes me the amount of time we are able to spend gabbing away when we are allowed to take off our 'mommy/wife hats'.  It almost feels like a bunch of girls at a slumber party. (If I'd ever been allowed to go to a slumber party)  Yet, the conversation has changed from who we have a crush on now, to what boy is crushing on our daughter.  It's amazing how comfortable one can be when surrounded by such close friends.  I usually come attired in my sexy sweatpants and my bleached sweatshirt.  And the best part is....they don't care because half of them are too!  We indulge ourselves in brownies, popcorn, cookies, and whatever other goodies walk through the door.  We are all so uniquely different but share one thing in common.  We LOVE books!  No one looks at me strange when I talk about my dream of having a library one day with a rolling ladder. (Yup you heard me right.  I want to slide across my shelves like Belle in Beauty in the Beast...totally awesome.) Or the fact that I like my books to 'look pretty' and books of the same height should be grouped together as close to their genre's as possible. 

 We talk about bed wetting, and the art of catching throw-up in a bowl.  Peeing in heater vents, and poop art on the T.V.  We laugh about how we'd be the best panel of women to go and promote abstinence in High Schools just by describing our lives as mothers.  We ask about one friends freakishly swollen feet and groan about the Dr's I don't know shrugs we all get.  They ask me about Ltue and how it went, and I ask another how her pregnancy is going, then we all jump in with our sad, funny, or just plain bizarre pregnancy stories. (We've all got 'em)  No topic goes untouched, no bad day judged harshly.  We strip ourselves of our pretenses and once in awhile a skeleton may pop out from a closet, and no one cares.  We laugh, sometimes we cry, and laugh some more.   I stay until I can barely keep my eyes open, and as I stumble home, I feel rejuvenated to make it through the next month. And as I nurse my 'book club hangover' the next morning, I look forward to whatever life may throw at me this time, with the pleasant thought that I can share it with my peeps next month.  They just get me.  Ladies, thanks for another great night!

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad I finally made myself go. I need more social interaction with you awesome ladies. And by the way, we also dream of book room with a rolling ladder! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you! You went home and wrote something. :) We missed you for the last three and a half hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I love that Cindi was up commenting on blogs at 6:48 AM...not possible for me! I Love book club!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE book club!! And it is true...I feel "rejuvenated" for the upcoming weeks, until I can get my BC fix!! We have an amazing group of women in our ward! I am so excited to get to know all of you better (quirks and all...because I don't have any! hahahahahahaha!!)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just am always sad that I have to leave VERY early so I can teach the next day.

    ReplyDelete