The everyday life of an everyday woman with a passion for writing, and a dream… Mommeeeee! I need help wiping! Oh yes, and five little kids.

Monday, June 4, 2012


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Cate, a young woman orphaned by the recent death of her father, finds herself a maid to Queen Elizabeth.  At first thrilled at the amazing opportunity, Cate is disappointed to discover the politics and games played even amongst the servants to win the Queen's favor.  When the Queen discovers Cates forbidden romance with another at court she is punished, by being sent to the America's to help settle a new colony.  But to Cate, this is the freedom she has wanted.

I really enjoyed this historical tale of the first colonists at Roanoke.  The mistakes, friendships, and enemies made as colonist turned against colonist, and native against native was interesting to read about.  My only disappointment in this novel was the lack of depth I felt for the characters.  There was so much potential throughout the story to really move the reader emotionally, but the connection fell short.  I liked it, but could have been more emotionally engaging.


No comments:

Post a Comment