The everyday life of an everyday woman with a passion for writing, and a dream… Mommeeeee! I need help wiping! Oh yes, and five little kids.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Keep Reading

       Okay, so I'm sure you've noticed I read copious amounts of books. Some may say bordering on ridiculous.  When I first started writing (which feels like forever ago, OK more like 2 babies ago, yes I measure my past years in babies), I would feel guilty when I would take the time to read, but there were just some days when I didn't like writing very much.  It would feel like pulling teeth to get anything out.  I would write, and re-write the same sentence over and over frustrated that it wasn't coming out just the way I wanted it.  One day I received a phone call from my mom.  She said, "Ani, I am at Deseret Book and I have someone here that would like to talk to you and your never going to believe who it is."  She was right.  I would have never guessed.  I asked, "Who?"  "Jennie Hansen!" she said practically bursting.  (Now, for those of you who aren't aware who Jennie Hansen is she is pretty much my favorite LDS Romantic-Suspense author, and I've read every single one of her books.)  Next thing I know, Jennie Hansen is on my mom's cell phone talking to me and says, "Your mom says you are working on an LDS Suspense fiction, is there anything you'd like to ask me?"  My mind completely froze, of all the million things I would have wanted to ask her, I couldn't draw up a single thing.  I think my response was something akin to "bah-uh-huh"  (totally not even exaggerating)  Finally, I managed to get one question out and it was, "If you could give me any advice, what would it be?"  I was completely surprised by her answer, which was, "Keep reading!"  Well, to wrap up the story quickly she had to get back to her book signing and said good bye and I managed to re-gain control of my brain.

        Keep reading? That was her advice? That sounded a little counter-productive to me, but hey she's the one with an umpteenth number of published novels.  So, I took it.  Whenever I became frustrated with writing, or I just couldn't get it to come out right, I would take a step away from it and pick up a book.  WOW! Talk about recharging your literary batteries!  My mind would suddenly be full of new ideas, new writing techniques, and an ability to view my characters from a different angle, or pick out a new subplot to throw in.  So, if any of you are dabbling in writing, and want  a good piece of advice....keep reading!!!  And, it's also a great justification to Dustin for all the reading I do.....

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Talk about somebody making my day! Your post on top of the rescue of all those miners in Chile convinces me this is going to be a super day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to hear any good excuse to read....guess I'll have to become an author so I can read more :o) I need to borrow some of your Jennie Hansen books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, there's so many good reasons to read . . . I love to find another one. :)

    ReplyDelete