The everyday life of an everyday woman with a passion for writing, and a dream… Mommeeeee! I need help wiping! Oh yes, and five little kids.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Awakening (The Watchers Trilogy, #1)Awakening by Karice Bolton

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Awakening was certainly intriguing at first, and I still believe that that idea of the story itself has potential. With Ana alone in the world and suddenly being thrown into a world she never remembers and a family she has no recollection of. Unfortunately, the story quickly began to drag for me. Ana's constant musing about how blissfully wonderful her new family is quickly became redundant and tiresome as well as the "too perfect" interactions of the family members.



The most frustrating for me was how little the reader was actually shown what was happening. Too much of the story was written in long paragraphs telling us what happened, but now showing. Ana tells us what she learned from her family members, or what she did with them the previous night, but we weren't present. I want to be present at the dialogue, I want to know their facial expressions. In essence, the reader was merely told the story not a part of it. Because of this I couldn't get to the end fast enough. I will not be reading the second novel.







View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment