The everyday life of an everyday woman with a passion for writing, and a dream… Mommeeeee! I need help wiping! Oh yes, and five little kids.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Glimmerglass (Faeriewalker, #1)Glimmerglass by Jenna Black


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I have to admit. I've been on a bit of a YA fiction reading binge. Particularly fantasy, and while all fantasy seem to have the same theme, (a teenage girl discovers she's either faery or other type of mythical creature or at least partially mythical and she’s thrown into this new world she always believed was fiction) however, I thought this book had a bit of an interesting twist. This was the first time I've read where the 'human world' is fully aware of this other 'mythical world'.




Dana Hathaway knows she's half faery, and her drunken mother keeps them moving around so her fae father won't find them. She knows her father lives in the city of Avalon.( A city which is a sort of between worlds where human and fae live together in their own sort of country, similar to the Vatican City.) Deciding life in Avalon would be far better than a life with her non-functioning drunk mother, she runs away to find her Dad and a new life. Dana soon discovers life and politics in Avalon are nothing like she expected. Especially when she discovers no one is above using her as a political pawn for the upcoming elections.




While this was a typical teen-fiction fantasy, I did enjoy the intrigue and the author's spin on the fae world.






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment